2011年3月2日星期三

Kimberley20110220贝登堡纪念日报告

20th February 2011

Today, it is the celebration of our Founder’s Day, Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden Powell.
It is considered as an early celebration because the exact date should be 22nd February.
On this very day, all parents of the scout members were all invited to attend the simple symbolic celebration.
BP day / Founder’s Day is celebrated in order to commemorate the birth of Baden Powell, founder of the scout movement and every scout unit was given the task of preparing their own contributions to the simple event.

The Cub Scouts and Scouts had all prepared programmes for the entertainment of the audiences, there were cute performances such as the chicken dance, sketches which involved the depiction of the life of Baden Powell in his life towards creating the World Scout Movement.
The Senior Scouts had prepared 4 games for the event which involved getting the players messed up.
Some of them got wet, some of them had had themselves covered with flour all over them.
I don’t know if that was supposed to be a good thing, but nevertheless, what we wanted was for everyone to have fun.

Toward the end of the event, it was obvious that people were already getting hungry and tired, food was served.
It was a potluck where all scouts and their parents were welcomed to bring food to share with everyone.
The portions were so large and full of varieties that there wasn’t enough mouths to gobble up all the food that the other scout leaders had to bring back portions of food so as to not waste them!
It’s not a bad bargain.

As for myself, today is the first time I experienced the celebration of BP day outside of my first scout unit.
I’m sure most of the kids had a good time.
I think that there can always be further improvement for the next year.
Be it longer preparation time and greater potential for creativity, as long as this is made known to the scouts, I’m sure to some extent they will try to fulfill it.

I have yet to understand the culture and nature of this scout unit over here at KC, I’m sure in time I will be more familiar and start to treat this unit as my family as well.

Edited by: Amy Tan

没有评论: